Friday, April 23, 2010

Passion or Market Frenzy?
In the last few weeks, an incredible amount of people have bought the world cup 2010 album and they are now collecting the stickers that go with it. There are 638 stickers in total from players to team photos, team shield, and the stadiums. Now that we are 49 days away from the world cup, it does not seem out of place. However, what I find strange is the level of demand is extremely high. People who never showed any interests in soccer or even adults who you would imagine they grew out of collecting stickers, are now in a crazy race for buying and trading stickers. I mean, I have never seen anything like this in my life. I wonder if this is just the passion for a sport and competition, or a trivial reaction to marketing influence from companies and organizations who look for profit in this event.
Indeed, I was actually thinking about buying these stickers, since I follow and am a fan of soccer. However, I just do not want to be a part of this craziness and meaningless euforia.

1 comment:

Alisha Stafford Feitosa said...

Interesting question. I've been amazed by this whole trend, too. Though I admit that if I followed soccer I would probably be into this. (I used to collect baseball cards when I was younger, so I can sort of understand the appeal.)

So they don't do anything like this back home? I definitely never saw these stickers in the States, but maybe that's because not many of my friends/classmates followed soccer.